The Virginia Beach Council of PTAs presents the Principles of American Citizenship Award Program for 2017-2018:
1) SELECTION: Each school should submit one nomination per month for consideration. The PTA President and the Principal should decide on the selection process at their school. Council’s selection will be based upon how closely the student exemplifies the character trait. Although only one nomination per month may be forwarded, recognition of ALL nominated students is encouraged at the school level (i.e. certificate at a PTA meeting, name published in the PTA and/or school newsletter, etc.). All schools are encouraged to participate monthly. A minimum of three timely nominations per year are required to meet the criteria for the Exemplary Award. Nominations must be placed in the PONY by the deadlines below.
2) NOMINATION FORM: The Nomination Form has been created to keep on file and should be reproduced as needed for each month’s submission. No other form will be accepted. Additional sheets may be attached to the Nomination Form if necessary.
3) WRITE-UP: The nomination write-up should support the student’s qualifications, particularly with regard to the character trait for the month. Be sure to cite specific examples. Please include the student’s accomplishments and why he/she is deserving of the award.
4) DEADLINES: Please PONY your Student Nomination Form by the deadline each month to Erica Prosser @ Rosemont Elementary School. The submission deadlines are as follows:
(September – Responsibility)
(October – Diligence)
(November – Respect)
(December – Kindness)
(January – Fairness)
(February – Honesty)
(March – Cooperation)
(April – Self Control)
(May – Trustworthiness)
5) WINNERS: One elementary, middle, and high school winner will be chosen each month from the nominations received. Winning schools will be contacted by phone and/or by email. Winners’ names will appear on the VB Council website and/or newsletter. Arrangements will be made with each school to deliver awards for presentation at a convenient date and time.
6) CONTACT INFORMATION: If you have questions, please contact VB Council PAC Chair, Erica Prosser at EProsser917@hotmail.com . All nominations must be sent via PONY mail.
Responsibility: being accountable for one’s behavior
Diligence: completing work with care and steady effort
Respect: showing honor and high regard for a person or thing
Kindness: being sympathetic, caring, and considerate of others
Fairness: displaying impartiality and granting equal treatment
Honesty: exhibiting truthfulness and sincerity
Cooperation: working together for the good of a common purpose
Self-control: keeping one’s own emotions, desires, and actions restrained
Trustworthiness: earning a sense of reliability and confidence from others